The following guidelines are for District and State repertoire. Students who do not meet these requirements will be performing for “Critique Only.”
- Memorization is required.
- Repertoire written with accompaniment must be performed with an accompanist. Teachers may accompany their students. No recorded accompaniments. Performances must be live. Recorded accompaniments will be allowed for E-Achievement Auditions.
- Arias may only be performed by students in the ninth grade or higher.
- If an aria is selected for the audition, it should be suited to the age and maturity of the student.
- Art Songs in English, Latin, Italian, German, Spanish, or French.
Vocal repertoire may be chosen from the following books
- Easy Songs Part 1 and Part 2 for the Beginning Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano/Alto, Tenor, or Bass – published by Hal Leonard
- Royal Conservatory Voice Series Levels 5-9
- 24/28 Italian Art Songs – published by G. Schirmer
- Selected Solos for Contest – published by Heritage
- 15 American Art Songs – published by Hal Leonard
- 15 More American Art Songs – published by Hal Leonard
- Favorite Spanish, German, French Songs Collections – published by Hal Leonard
- First and Second Book Series (Boytim) for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Tenor, or Bass – published by G. Schirmer
- Lovers, Lasses & Spring – published by Hal Leonard
- Ye Shall Have a Song – published by Alfred
- Daffodils, Violets & Snowflakes – published by Hal Leonard
- Heroes and Vagabonds: Solo Songs for the Male Changing Voice – published by Patterson, BriLee Music Publishing
- Traveling On: Solo Songs for the Male Changing Voice – published by Schram, BriLee Music Publishing
- Tales of Land and Sea Solos for the Male Changing Voice – published by Patterson, BriLee Music Publishing
- Heritage Solo Series
- Dreams and Reflections – published by Heritage
- Solo Songs for Young Singers by Andy Beck – published by Alfred
- Love, Music, and Nature – published by Alfred
- Art Songs from any of the suggested list or from major/minor composers in the canon
Not Acceptable Repertoire
- Musical Theatre
- Popular Music
- Vocal Arrangements